from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of certain tribal societies who acts as a medium between the visible world and an invisible spirit world and who practices magic or sorcery for purposes of healing, divination, and control over natural events.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A traditional (prescientific) faith healer.
- n. A member of certain tribal societies who acts as a religious medium between the concrete and spirit worlds.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A priest of Shamanism; a wizard among the Shamanists.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A professor or priest of Shamanism; a wizard or conjurer among those who profess Shamanism.
- Relating to Shamanism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. in societies practicing shamanism: one acting as a medium between the visible and spirit worlds; practices sorcery for healing or divination
When you think of the term shaman or medicine man it might conjure up images of African witchdoctors.
A HREF = "images1105/i1105large. jpg" Here again, we see the coexistence of indigenous and Spanish beliefs, as a shaman is among the figures gathered in the pews.
On one side of the shaman is a bonfire and on the other side are the ceremonial objects, including ears of corn and peyote.
The shaman is the state shifter, the channel-changer par excellence, for the shaman is the master technician of ecstasy.
Becoming a shaman and living as a shaman is a difficult and demanding life path that many indigenous people shy away from because of its formidable requirements.
Hitchcock's three partners are killed in the melee and the shaman is honored for his wisdom.
The idea of the Power Animal, a helping spirit that embodies certain qualities of the shaman, is one of those elements.
Asta Khan, Tenaka's shaman, is still alive, and has deceived Jungir, and is plotting his master's return.
Furthermore, this shaman is really pissed off at the white man for invading his homeland.
Click on the walkman the old shaman is listening to.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.