from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A former Portuguese colony of northwest India on the eastern shore of the Gulf of Khambhat. It was acquired by the Portuguese in 1588 and annexed by India in 1962.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Capital of the union territory of Daman and Diu (India).
- proper n. A male given name used in India, derived from the Sanskrit equivalent of Ancient Greek Damian, the brother of Cosmas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small herbivorous mammal of the genus Hyrax. The species found in Palestine and Syria is Hyrax Syriacus; that of Northern Africa is Hyrax Brucei; -- called also ashkoko, dassy, and rock rabbit. See cony, and hyrax.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Syrian hyrax, Hyrax syriacus; the cony of the Bible. See cony and Hyrax. Also written damon.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Koh Daman is very well watered by the Ghorband and Panjsher Rivers, and the district's natural irrigation is amplified by innumerable man-made canals.
Koh Daman is chiefly famous for its grapes and other fruits, on which the people largely subsist, besides exporting immense quantities.
Nevertheless, the Gazetteer pages cited here provide useful information about the social composition of the district: Koh Daman is a favourite country residence of the wealthy inhabitants of Kabul, and is almost as thickly studded with forts as with gardens.
Daman, which is jointly owned by the government of Abu Dhabi (80%) and Munich Re (20%), started operations in 2006.
Hauing passed Diu, I came to the second city that the Portugals haue, called Daman, situated in the territory of Cambaia, distant from Diu an hundred and twenty miles: it is no towne of merchandise, saue Rice and corne, and hath many villages vnder it, where in time of peace the Portugals take their pleasure, but in time of warre the enemies haue the spoile of them; in such wise that the Portugals haue little benefit by them.
In 'Daman', given a good role I even agreed to play mother to Raima Sen, "she said.
Airportman said that in Hsiaoliin village, the Siraya tribe is almost vanished; now everything is buried in the mud: the temples, the Daman tribe culture and the night ceremony the tribe tried to revive in the past few decades.
Daman Prakash , a director for MNC Bullion, a trading firm based in the southern city of Chennai, said he expects to see more demand from retail customers when prices fall to 26,000-27,000 rupees per 10 grams.
It's the same way "Gossip Girl"'s costume designer Eric Daman—who also worked on "Sex and the City"—arranges wardrobes on the show.
Choos and skin-tight jeans, says costume designer Eric Daman.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.