from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An assumption made beforehand; a preliminary conjecture or speculation.
- n. The act of presupposing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of presupposing; an antecedent implication; presumption.
- n. That which is presupposed; a previous supposition or surmise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Supposition in advance of experience or knowledge; surmise; conjecture.
- n. Postulation as of an antecedent condition; hence, that which is postulated as a necessary antecedent condition; a prerequisite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of presupposing; a supposition made prior to having knowledge (as for the purpose of argument)
From Latin presuppositio, from the past participle stem of praesupponere ("to presuppose"). (Wiktionary)