American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality of being supernatural.
- n. Belief in a supernatural agency that intervenes in the course of natural laws.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being supernatural.
- n. Belief in the supernatural. Specifically— The doctrine that there is a personal God who is superior to and supreme in nature, and directs and controls it: in this sense opposed to naturalism.
- n. Also supranaturalism.
- n. The quality or condition of being supernatural.
- n. A belief in the doctrine of supernatural or divine agency as manifested in the world, in human events, religious revelation, miracles, etc.
- n. A belief in supernatural intelligent causes, forces, agencies, powers as producing effects in this world.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being supernatural; supernaturalness.
- n. (Theol.) The doctrine of a divine and supernatural agency in the production of the miracles and revelations recorded in the Bible, and in the grace which renews and sanctifies men, -- in opposition to the doctrine which denies the agency of any other than physical or natural causes in the case.
- n. the quality of being attributed to power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces
- n. a belief in forces beyond ordinary human understanding
“Hear the witness of a member that he cannot believe in supernaturalism, that believing in reason and observation rather than Jesus and the Bible is the only reliable way to discern truth, that he believes in this life and not the afterlife, and that the other nine months of the year he belongs to a Methodist church in Indiana.”
“John Wendt: Show us how theistic supernaturalism is a better guide to understanding biology.”
“Show us how theistic supernaturalism is a better guide to understanding biology.”
“John Went: Show us how theistic supernaturalism is a better guide to understanding biology.”
“The whole of its supernaturalism is borrowed bodily from Persia, which had”
“As supernaturalism is absorbed, to seep out again, mechanism, projected internally, draws out a different image of consciousness.”
“Science need not exclude the supernatural, on principle, but must exclude tactics like 3 and 4, which a certain kind of supernaturalism is built on.”
“Any kind of supernaturalism unsupported by evidence is less parsimonious than naturalism.”
“As for "supernaturalism," here is how Niebuhr replied to Paul Tillich, who really did not believe in either a personal God or personal immortality.”
“Science says nothing on "supernaturalism", outside of people believe in it, which means to we can understand how and why they do.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘supernaturalism’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Looking for tweets for supernaturalism.