from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The study of the supernatural.
- n. A belief in occult powers and the possibility of bringing them under human control.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the supernatural
- n. A belief in occult powers and the hope of controlling them
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A certain Oriental system of theosophy.
- n. Belief in occult powers or in supernatural forces other than the God of traditional religions, such as in magic, necromancy, alchemy, and astrology.
- n. The study and alleged use of supernatural agencies as in magic, astrology, witchcraft, alchemy, necromancy, spiritualism (communication with the dead), and fortune-telling.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The doctrine, practice, or rites of things occult or mysterious; the occult sciences or their study; mysticism; esotericism.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the study of the supernatural
- n. a belief in supernatural powers and the possibility of bringing them under human control
Sorry, no etymologies found.