from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the world.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Belief in the existence of at least one deity.
- n. Belief in the existence of a personal creator god, goddess, gods and/or goddesses present and active in the governance and organization of the world and the universe. The God may be known by or through revelation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The belief or acknowledgment of the existence of a God, as opposed to
atheism, pantheism, or polytheism.
- n. The morbid condition resulting from the excessive use of tea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Belief in the existence of a God as the Creator and Ruler of the universe.
- n. A morbid affection resulting from the excessive use of tea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the doctrine or belief in the existence of a God or gods
Back-formation from atheism, originally from Ancient Greek θεός (Theós, "god"); see theo-. Attested in English from 1678, theist being slightly earlier, 16 years earlier in 1662. (Wiktionary)