from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The astrophysical study of the origin and evolution of the universe.
- n. A specific theory or model of the origin and evolution of the universe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The study of the origin, and sometimes the development, of the universe or the solar system, in astrophysics, religion, and other fields.
- n. Any specific theory, model, myth, or other account of the origin of the universe.
- n. The creation of the universe.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The creation of the world or universe; a theory or account of such creation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The theory or science of the origin of the universe, or of its present constitution and order; a doctrine or account of the creation; specifically, the doctrine that the universe had a beginning in time.
- n. The origination of the universe; creation.
- n. Synonyms See cosmology.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the branch of astrophysics that studies the origin and evolution and structure of the universe
From Ancient Greek κοσμογονία (kosmogonia), from κόσμος (kosmos, "world") + γόνος (gonos, "creation"). (Wiktionary)