from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The worship of or belief in more than one god.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The belief of the existence of many gods.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The doctrine of, or belief in, a plurality of gods.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Belief in more gods than one; the doctrine of a plurality of divine beings superior to man, and having part in the government of the world.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. belief in multiple Gods
French polythéisme, from Greek polutheos, polytheistic : polu-, poly- + theos, god; see dhēs- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French polythéisme (ca. 1580), English from the early 17th century, a learned formation from poly- (πολύς (polús, "many")) and -theism (θεός (theós, "god")) (poly- + theism). (Wiktionary)