from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Indigenous and polytheistic religions.
- n. A class of religions often associated with nature rituals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being pagan; pagan characteristics; esp., the worship of idols or false gods, or the system of religious opinions and worship maintained by pagans; heathenism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The religious beliefs and practices of pagans; religious opinion, worship, and conduct which is not Christian, Jewish, or Mohammedan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various religions other than Christianity or Judaism or Islamism
From Latin paganismus ("heathenism"), from paganus ("peasant, rural, rustic"). The term was used as an insult by the early Christians to belittle what remained of the native religions. (Wiktionary)