from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. paganism, heathendom
- n. unchristian state or condition
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The religious system or rites of a heathen nation; idolatry; paganism.
- n. The manners or morals usually prevalent in a heathen country; ignorance; rudeness; barbarism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Heathen systems of religion or morals; pagan practice or belief; paganism.
- n. Heathenish manners or condition; the degraded or uncultured state of those who are uninfluenced by Christianity; barbarism; ignorance; irreligion: as, the heathenism of the slums.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various religions other than Christianity or Judaism or Islamism
From heathen plus -ism, coined in the 17th century in place of the then-obsolete heathendom. First attested in Francis Bacon, Of the advancement of learning (1605), II. xiv. §9: "The heresy of the Anthropomorphites [...] and the opinion of Epicurus, answerable to the same in heathenism, who supposed the gods to be in human shape" (OED). (Wiktionary)