from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being uninformed or uneducated. Lack of knowledge or information.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being ignorant; the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.
- n. A willful neglect or refusal to acquire knowledge which one may acquire and it is his duty to have.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being ignorant; want of knowledge in general, or concerning some particular matter; the condition of not being cognizant, informed, or aware.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the lack of knowledge or education
From Old French ignorance. This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology. (Wiktionary)