from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Amateur beliefs and practices generally.
- n. The opinion or conviction that sports ought not to be played for money.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The practice, habit, or work of an amateur.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The practice of any art, occupation, game, etc., as a pastime or an accomplishment, and not as a profession; the quality of being an amateur.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the conviction that people should participate in sports as a hobby (for the fun of it) rather than for money
amateur + -ism (Wiktionary)