American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- pro. Used to indicate the one or ones belonging to you: The larger boots are yours. If I can't find my book, I'll take yours.
- pro. Used often with an adverbial modifier in the complimentary close of a letter: Sincerely yours.
- idiom. yours truly I, myself, or me: "Let me talk about a typical day in the life of yours truly” ( Robert A. Spivey).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- That which belongs or those which belong to you: the possessive used without a following noun. Preceded by of, it is equivalent to the personal pronoun you: as, a friend of yours. Compare the similar phrases made with the other possessives in the independent form.
- [Yours is sometimes used in specific senses without reference to a noun previously mentioned: Your property.
- The persons belonging to you; your friends or relatives.
- Your letter: as, yours of the 16th inst. is at hand.
- Abbreviated yrs.
- pro. That which belongs to you (singular); the possessive second person singular pronoun used without a following noun.
- pro. That which belongs to you (plural); the possessive second person plural pronoun used without a following noun.
- pro. Written at the end of a letter, before the signature.
GNU Webster's 1913
- pro. See the Note under your.
- From Middle English youres, ȝoures, equivalent to your + -'s. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from your, your; see your. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Your vote is sacred Kali Star, it is * yours* and yours alone, your voice, your right and your might.”
“Hell the way I feel this moment . how I really look at anything and feel scorned how just an email prior to yours I believed him so faith fully and the one that came right after yours ”
“For our possessions are in heaven; therefore, sons of men, purchase unto yourselves by these transitory things which are not yours, _what is yours_, and shall not pass away.”
“_Yours; Yours truly; Truly yours; Yours respectfully; Very respectfully yours_, etc.”
“Yours truly; Truly yours; Yours respectfully; Very respectfully yours_, etc. In official letters use _I have the honor to be, Sir, your obedient servant; Very respectfully, your most obedient servant_.”
“_Mine, ours, yours, thine, hers_, and _theirs_ are used when the name of the thing possessed is omitted; as, This rose is _yours_ = This rose is”
“And remember that I am unchangeably yours, yours not with selfish wishes, but with a devotion that excludes such wishes.”
“I will be yours, she murmured; yours and none others till death.”
“They are yours to drive upon whatever path you choose to set their feet, _yours_, O”
“My triumph over your enemies is yours -- _yours_!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yours’.
Words to be replaced by a paragraph mark if you are after terms and MWEs.
Words overused in modern pop music.
Also see ruzuzu's list: Words that should be heard in songs more often.
Lessons from the art of letter writing.
To Whom It May Co..., Dear Sir or Madam, complimentary close, sincerely, valediction, salutation, yours truly, yours sincerely, sincerely yours, very truly yours, I am, Sir, your m..., yours faithfully and 24 more...
Very basic words for ESL students.
these are some of my favorite words...
Words for the last day of the year
"Bite my shiny metal ass."
Looking for tweets for yours.