from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Philosophy The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified.
- n. Philosophy The theory or view that the self is the only reality.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The theory that the self is all that exists or that can be proven to exist.
- n. Self-absorption, an unawareness of the views or needs of others.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Egotism.
- n. Egoism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The belief or proposition that the person entertaining it alone exists, and that other people exist only as ideas in his mind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (philosophy) the philosophical theory that the self is all that you know to exist
Latin sōlus, alone; see s(w)e- in Indo-European roots + Latin ipse, self + -ism.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin solus ("alone") + ipse ("self") + -ism. (Wiktionary)