from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A theory of biological evolution, especially that formulated by Charles Darwin.
- n. Advocacy of or belief in biological evolution.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several theories that explain the evolution of systems or organisms.
- n. The advocacy of Darwinian evolution by natural selection (Darwinism).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The theory of, or belief in, evolution. See evolution, 6 and 7.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The metaphysical or the biological doctrine of evolution or development.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (biology) a scientific theory of the origin of species of plants and animals
evolution + -ism (Wiktionary)