from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A trial performance, as by an actor, dancer, or musician, to demonstrate suitability or skill.
- n. The sense or power of hearing.
- n. The act of hearing.
- intransitive v. To take part in a trial performance: auditioned for the role and got it.
- transitive v. To evaluate (a person) in a trial performance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A performance, by an aspiring performer, to demonstrate suitability or talent
- n. The sense of hearing
- v. To evaluate one or more performers in through an audition
- v. To take part in such a performance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of hearing or listening; hearing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of hearing; a hearing or listening; the sensation from an impression on the auditory nerve by the vibrations of the air produced by a sonorous body.
- n. The sense of hearing; hearing, as a physiological function or faculty; one of the five special senses.
- n. Something heard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. perform in order to get a role
- n. the ability to hear; the auditory faculty
- n. a test of the suitability of a performer
Despite all this, we heard back about King 4 and moosebutter but not Wonder Voice, and no answer means no "audition"--really call back to sing in front of the live judges
10 November 2008 at 5: 02 pm aww that thing about Rob and the audition is soo cute. lol
But most of her audition was a belly dance for Steven.
The Cubs went with Quade over Sandberg and bench coach Alan Trammell, and the audition was a success.
Even during Hollywood Week, after the group audition, I thought I was going to go home because our audition was a train wreck.
So the scene in the audition was the one where Betty walks into Mode for the first time and Amanda says, “Are you the before?”
Not long before Junebug opened — and before the Oscar nomination that would pull her out of the pack — Adams went on a cattle-call audition for a role that involved singing and dancing as well as acting.
I heard about the audition first, and all I saw for the audition was the appointment sheet.
“The audition was a lot of fun because, um, I really wanted it,” she said.
I felt terrible, personally, because I like Robert and think he has talent, however unpolished it is, and because he had been led to believe the audition was a formality.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.