American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- interj. Used to express acclamation, salute, or applause.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An Italian exclamation corresponding to the French vive, ‘long live.’ Often used substantively: as, the vivas of the crowd.
- interj. Long live ... ! (used to express acclaim or support).
- v. transitive, intransitive, dated To cheer or applaud.
- n. An oral examination, typically for an academic qualification.
- v. transitive To subject to an examination of this kind.
GNU Webster's 1913
- interj. Lit., (long) live; -- an exclamation expressing good will, well wishing, etc.
- n. an examination conducted by spoken communication
- Shortened from viva voce, Latin for “live voice” (Wiktionary)
- Italian and Spanish, (long) live, both from Latin vīvat, third person sing. present subjunctive of vīvere, to live. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It ain't perfect, but its getting there. viva aka python for ever: brilliant. now the db is sqlite. still not the format i had dreamed of though.”
“XavierHaruhist: ty! works great however it only searches for one word, so what if i want like a song name that is 3 words- let's say i type in "search viva la vida" it'll open up everything with the search query of only "viva" , how can i make it to search all i type?”
“However, the somewhat sullen crowd, who had just had their electricity cut by the local council, was won over by Sexwale, whose speech had them laughing and shouting "viva".”
“The packed court erupted in cries of "viva" as Mofokeng supporters rejoiced after the magistrate announced his verdict.”
“When he climbed on one of the machines afterwards, the workers applauded joyfully and many shouted "viva".”
“Khayelitsha Sister Monica Siyolo, who read out the memorandum, was greeted with shouts of "viva" when she described the five per cent increase offered to nurses as an insult.”
“ANC MPs and Senators cheered and shouted "viva" as Speaker Dr”
“White farmers and their labour force have gathered in community halls or, in this case a huge potato packing shed, and much "viva" and "long Live" calls were directed at the NP and the person of the”
“Anyone shouting "viva" a few years ago was likely to become the object of intense Security Police scrutiny.”
“Faith Gasa, announced at 11. 26am that "that concludes the business for the day", a number of Members applauded and shouted "viva".”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘viva’.
Looking for tweets for viva.