from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An operatic prima donna.
- n. A very successful singer of nonoperatic music: a jazz diva.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who may be considered or who considers herself (or by extension himself) much more important than others, has high expectations of others and who is extremely demanding and fussy when it comes to personal privileges.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A prima donna.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A prima donna; a distinguished female singer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a distinguished female operatic singer; a female operatic star
Italian, from Latin dīva, goddess, feminine of dīvus, god.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian diva' “diva, goddess”, from Latin diva “goddess”, female of divus “divine, divine one; notably a deified mortal”. (Wiktionary)