American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The Jewish religious official who leads the musical part of a service.
- n. The person who leads a church choir or congregation in singing; a precentor.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Eccles., an officer whose duty is to lead the singing in a cathedral or in a collegiate or parish church; a precentor.
- n. Specifically, in Germany, the music-master in a choir-school or similar institution, or the kapellmeister of a church. See kapellmeister.
- n. singer, especially someone who takes a special role of singing or song leading at a ceremony
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A singer; esp. the leader of a church choir; a precentor.
- n. the official of a synagogue who conducts the liturgical part of the service and sings or chants the prayers intended to be performed as solos
- n. the musical director of a choir
- From Latin cantor, agent noun from perfect passive participle cantus, from verb canere ("to sing"), + agent suffix -or. (Wiktionary)
- Latin, singer, from canere, to sing; see kan- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of course cantor is making a flip-flop here, however he just scared as hell that it will be another smack down on tv like they took last Friday.”
“Bozo The Neoclown says: ten to one says eric cantor is the next cancervaturd legislator embroiled in a scandal involving a male prostitute and meth. he has that look.”
“Move the cantor from the front to the back; people don't need to be directed as if it were a protestant revival meeting”
“The cantor is likewise seized by guilt, and cries, "God, I am nothing before you!”
“Seems like cantor is talking out of both sides of his mouth, he voted with bush 100%, now we have a huge deficet and he wants us to believe it is obama's fault.”
“Shoot at his campaign windows and blame Crist? cantor is NOT a rising star.”
“That's about to change as the high court considers a case involving a Las Vegas woman who claims she was sexually assaulted nine years ago by a man she described as a cantor at a synagogue.”
“January 27th, 2010 at 12: 35 pm tombaker says: cantor is such a snotty little liar … when matt lauer pwns you, you know you’ve hit bottom.”
“The cantor was a teenaged girl and she was a Mariah Carey wannabe.”
“A cantor is the ying to the Rabbi's yang; while the Rabbi is responsible for preaching, it is a cantor's job to lead the chanting of the Jewish service.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cantor’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Here's a fun little word game that might appeal to my fellow Wordies. The object of this game is to create the longest possible word, using only the official two-letter abbreviations of U.S. states...
My Favorite Words
Commonly Confused Words
list of names that appear regularly in my reading on philosophy and logic
honorifics. might park some formal titles here too until there are enough to spawn another list.
Holy men (and women).
Looking for tweets for cantor.