from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A deputy of a Roman Catholic bishop.
- n. The holder of a papal provision.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who provides; a purveyor.
- n. The purveyor, steward, or treasurer of a religious house.
- n. One who is regularly inducted into a benefice. See Provision, 5.
- n. One who procures or receives a papal provision. See Provision, 6.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who provides; a purveyor; a provider.
- n. A person who has the right, gained by mandate of the Pope, to be in future presented to a benefice which is not vacant at the time of the grant. See provide, 6.
Sorry, no etymologies found.