from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A singer in a choir, especially a choirboy or choirgirl.
- n. A leader of a choir.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A singer in a choir
- n. A director or leader of a choral group.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a choir; a singer in a chorus.
- n. One who leads a choir in church music.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A singer in a choir or chorus; specifically, a male member of a church choir.
- n. In some churches, a choir-leader or precentor; one who leads the singing of the choir or the congregation.—
- n. A singer in general: as, the feathered choristers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a singer in a choir
Middle English queristre, from Anglo-Norman *cueristre, from Medieval Latin chorista, from chorus, chorus, from Latin, choral dance; see chorus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Derived from choir + -ster. (Wiktionary)