from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woman who performs songs, especially ballads or popular songs.
- n. A woman who writes songs. See Usage Note at -ess.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A female singer. The female equivalent of songster.
- n. A female songbird.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman who sings; also, a female singing bird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A female singer; also, a female singing bird.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a woman songster (especially of popular songs)
Sorry, no etymologies found.