American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An Old World lark (Alauda arvensis) having brownish plumage and noted for its singing while in flight.
- v. To play actively and boisterously; frolic.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common lark of Europe, Alauda arvensis: so called because it mounts toward the sky and sings as it flies. Also called sky-laverock, rising-lark, field-lark, short-heeled lark, etc. The name extends to some other true larks, and also to a few of the pipits.
- To engage in boisterous fun or frolic.
- n. A small brown passerine bird, Alauda arvensis, that sings as it flies high into the air.
- v. To jump about joyfully, frolic; to play around, play tricks.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A lark that mounts and sings as it files, especially the common species (Alauda arvensis) found in Europe and in some parts of Asia, and celebrated for its melodious song; -- called also
sky laverock. See under lark.
- v. play boisterously
- n. brown-speckled European lark noted for singing while hovering at a great height
- From sky + lark. (Wiktionary)
“If It isn't a ticket that includes Hillary, I will vote for McCain skylark”
“All country people know that the skylark is a very shy bird; that its abode is the open fields; that it settles on the ground only; that it seeks safety in the wideness of space; that it avoids enclosures, and is never seen in gardens.”
“In some ways the skylark is the sweetest singer we have; only certain of the thrushes rival it, but though the songs of the latter have perhaps even more melody, they are far from being as uninterrupted and well sustained, being rather a succession of broken bursts of music.”
“Shelley called skylark a blithe spirit because of its happy song.”
“BLITHE X CHEERLESS Meaning: Gay, joyous Usage: Shelley called skylark a blithe spirit because of its happy song.”
“He proposed simple solutions such as skylark breeding plots, which farmers are already beginning to take up.”
“Bride: Though the skylark neither soars nor singsof a joy whose race is just beginning, I thee wed.”
“Only a few other North American sparrows have ever been observed to "skylark".”
“Somewhere overhead a skylark, the first I've heard this year, is singing.”
“The skylark finds its way into our art and into our music.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘skylark’.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
It's exactly what it sounds like. And yeah, for real people as much as characters. Big surprise.
A list of My Little Pony names from the original (G1) collection. 1982-1992
Interesting words and usages.
Zoom'om'om; inspiration, vitality, solemness, and sunrays...
My S Words
A work in progress....Birds from around the world (other than endemic to North America).
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Magical Celtic Voyages
literally 'rowings about'
The Voyage of Mae..., The Voyage of the..., The Voyage of Sne..., Voyage of St. Bre..., peregrinatio, The Voyage of the..., immrama, Vita Columbae, Vita Albie, Vita Fintani seu ..., peripteral, repechage and 85 more...
Looking for tweets for skylark.