American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several social bees of the genus Apis that produce honey, especially A. mellifera, widely domesticated as a source of honey and beeswax.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bee that collects and stores honey; specifically, the hive-bee, Apis mellifica. See cuts under bee.
- n. Alternative form of honey bee.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any bee of the genus Apis, which lives in communities and collects honey, esp. the common domesticated hive bee (Apis mellifica), the Italian bee (Apis ligustica), and the Arabiab bee (Apis fasciata). The two latter are by many entomologists considered only varieties of the common hive bee. Each swarm of bees consists of a large number of workers (barren females), with, ordinarily, one queen or fertile female, but in the swarming season several young queens, and a number of males or drones, are produced.
- n. social bee often domesticated for the honey it produces
- honey + bee (Wiktionary)
“These two mites by and large play the biggest part in honeybee health issues.”
“Many thought the chinese were using it to treat foulbrood disease in honeybee colonies.”
“In fact, about one-third of the human diet comes from insect-pollinated plants, and the honeybee is responsible for 80 percent of that pollination, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.”
“The honeybee is an introduced species in the Americas.”
“Pulitzer Prize-winning insect biologist E.O. Wilson of Harvard said the honeybee is nature’s "workhorse — and we took it for granted.”
“I have even heard the completely esoteric concept that the demise of the honeybee is a sign of the 2012 doomsday prophesy.”
“KENT NEWS: Survival of the honeybee is the focus of a new study aimed at saving their dwindling population by using the full weight of the law.”
“Preserving honeybees is important, Rogers said, because not only is there a shortage, but also the honeybee is the Kansas state insect and makes good honey.”
“We're looking at a possible connection," said the source about the suspected "honeybee" gunman.”
“Police officer Brian Dorian was charged in the "honeybee" shootings--before forensic evidence cleared him.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘honeybee’.
how honey is used
Some words pilfered shamelessly from ruzuzu's https://www.wordnik.com/lists/bees.
Looking for tweets for honeybee.