American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A freshwater fish (Carassius auratus) native to eastern Asia, usually having brassy or reddish coloring and bred in many ornamental forms as an aquarium fish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the carp family Cyprinidæ, Cyprinus or Carassius auratus, originally a Chinese species, now domesticated and bred everywhere for ornament in ponds, tanks, and aquariums. The rich red, golden, silver, black, and other colors are artificially produced; and propagated by selection; in a state of nature the fish is of a dull olivaceous green, to which it tends to revert if left to itself on escaping from cultivation.
- n. Same as garibaldi, 2.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A small domesticated cyprinoid fish (Carassius auratus); -- so named from its color. It is a native of China, and is said to have been introduced into Europe in 1691. It is often kept as an ornament, in small ponds or glass globes. Many varieties are known. Called also
golden fish, and golden carp. See Telescope fish, under telescope.
- n. A California marine fish of an orange or red color; the garibaldi.
- n. small golden or orange-red freshwater fishes of Eurasia used as pond or aquarium fishes
“I don't have HMO, because I tried that and ended up with bad doctors who are as good as diagnosing injuries and illness as a goldfish is at climbing a tree. indyphil”
“However, he did admit that with England's 2008 tour to New Zealand having seen four players face serious sex allegations - which were later dismissed - the squad should have been acutely aware of what he described as the "goldfish bowl" life rugby players must deal with here.”
“Bottom little box has whole grain goldfish crackers, organic raisins, and red grapes.”
“Bottom layer, ham and turkey with muenster cheese sandwiches, with whole grain goldfish and sliced string cheese for filler.”
“When one of Julie's goldfish is eaten by the Oscar, Feiffer's accompanying illustration of Julie screaming is dead on.”
“Police called the goldfish killing "disturbing," and the 16-year-old faces cruelty to animals charges in addition to a residential burglary charge.”
“Outside is vanilla yoplait yogurt, grapefruit, and whole grain goldfish.”
“He just is one, and always has been, ever since he can remember, the way a goldfish is a goldfish and cant be anything else.”
“I declare, when Aunt Alice would come home in the afternoon and she would go out and call her goldfish they would come right to the edge like they knew her.”
“The goldfish were a never-failing source of fun for the Quartette.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘goldfish’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Favorite designs for shower curtains. Inspired by the list Top 500 SAT Words Shower Curtain by jwjarvis.
Words used to create the names of Pokémon, which are usually portmanteaux.
Another news story about words being removed from a dictionary before their time. See also the list of words added to the dictionary.
Okay, I admit it. I made a list of words my daughter knew when she was two years old.
Words which are highly likely to be found in the work of learned writers.
A complete list of the red cards (things) from the popular word game.
being sorts of Fish
Looking for tweets for goldfish.