from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A voice having a range between soprano and contralto.
- n. A vocal part calling for a voice having such a range.
- n. Music A woman having a mezzo-soprano voice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A voice or voice part intermediate in compass between soprano and contralto
- n. A person having such a voice
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having a medium compass between the soprano and contralto; -- said of the voice of a female singer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a soprano with a voice between soprano and contralto
- n. the female singing voice between contralto and soprano
Italian : mezzo, half (from Latin medius; see medium) + soprano, soprano; see soprano.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Italian mezzosoprano (Wiktionary)