from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The office, duties, or mission of an apostle.
- n. An association of individuals for the dissemination of a religion or doctrine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The office, or responsibilities of an apostle.
- n. A group of people that exists for the spreading of religious doctrine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The dignity, office, or mission, of an apostle; apostleship.
- n. The dignity or office of the pope, as the holder of the apostolic see.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dignity or office of an apostle.
- n. Specifically
- n. The dignity or office of the pope; the holder of the apostolic see: used as a title in the early middle ages, as the title Holiness is employed at the present time.
Late Latin apostolātus, from apostolus, apostle; see apostle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From apostle. (Wiktionary)