from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A test to ascertain the qualifications of applicants, as for an athletic team or theatrical role.
- n. An experimental performance of a play before its official opening.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A test of the suitability or effectiveness of a person or thing, especially of a performer (an audition)
- n. A trial run
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a test of the performance capability of a person, to ascertain fitness for a particular task; in sports, a test by which the fitness of a player or contestant to remain in a certain class is determined.
- n. one or more performances of a play prior to the official opening, held at a location outside of the city where it is to be formally presented, conducted for the purpose of determining audience response or ascertaining weaknesses needing correction.
- intransitive v. to compete for a postition, as on a sports team or in a theatrical presentation.
- transitive v. to use (something not previously used) to determine its fitness for a particular purpose; also, to attempt (a deed) to determine if it will accomplish a particular purpose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a test of the suitability of a performer
- n. trying something to find out about it
- v. put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to
- v. perform in order to get a role
- v. try something new, as in order to gain experience
- v. take a sample of
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Vince McMahon wanted to take a look at me, so I had what they called a tryout with journeyman Black Bart.
Despite an 8.29 ERA in 38 innings, Pickford got a tryout from the Padres and started the season at Triple-A.
Supporters of other candidates have been wary of asking Sanford to step down because they did not want to give Bauer a long-term tryout for the state's top job.
Some had been wary, fearing Bauer would get a long-term tryout for the job if Sanford stepped down.
Despite that and the affair, some Republicans have been reluctant to seek Sanford's resignation or impeachment because they do not want to give Bauer what would amount to a long-term tryout for the job.
Vasquez said there is no downside to working out -- this was his third such "tryout" -- for NBA teams and going against such talents as Kentucky's Jodie Meeks and North Carolina's Wayne Ellington.
A tryout is usually more interesting than on-the-job training, where you’re already guaranteed a spot on the team.
And I’m still interested in tryout the Twitter/Facebook story …).
You have something called a tryout, where you meet, practice a bit, and decide to take it forward if it works out.
Ironically, one of the first clubs to give him a tryout was the Giants.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.