from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A foundation; a basis. See Synonyms at base1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The foundation; the basic or fundamental parts that support or allow for the rest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. That which forms the foundation or support of anything; the basis; the essential or fundamental part; first principle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which forms the foundation of something; the foundation or basis; the fundamental part, principle, or motive: used of both material and immaterial things.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. lowest support of a structure
- n. preliminary preparation as a basis or foundation
- n. the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained
ground + work (Wiktionary)