American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Required or necessary as a prior condition: Competence is prerequisite to promotion.
- n. Something that is prerequisite, as a course that is required prior to taking an advanced course.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Previously required; necessary as a condition of something following.
- n. A condition required beforehand; a preliminary necessity.
- adj. Required as a prior condition of something else; necessary or indispensable.
- n. Something that must be gained in order to gain something else
- n. In education, a course or topic that must be completed before another course or topic can be started. May be colloquially referred to as a prereq.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Previously required; necessary as a preliminary to any proposed effect or end.
- n. Something previously required, or necessary to an end or effect proposed.
- n. something that is required in advance
- adj. required as a prior condition or course of study
- From pre- + requisite. (Wiktionary)
“He said Frelimo had also reneged on promises to provide his former rebel movement with infrastructure support, jeopardising the existence of what he called a prerequisite to democracy - a viable opposition.”
“If having contempt for a person or group were the main prerequisite for denying constitutional rights, I'd deny them to the entire Rethuglican Party.”
“A deal between Greece and private-sector creditors has been identified as a prerequisite for progress by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund to make their contributions to a second bailout package for Greece totaling €130 billion $168.6billion.”
“The first prerequisite is having the executive, legislative, and judicial functions in the hands of one very strong party with media either largely controlled by that party or under sympathetic ownership.”
“However, there is certain prerequisite knowledge that one must possess in order to appreciate Penrose's book or my explanations in the previous posts.”
“Perhaps she just doesn't know what the word prerequisite means?”
“I guess the main prerequisite for service in the Bush Administration is the ability to look people squarely in the face and tell boldface lies without thinking twice about it … they found their man.”
“The main prerequisite for becoming an ugly American is to be born in America (pronounced a-MER-kuh).”
“The first prerequisite is theories which reflect reality.”
“The prerequisite is merely that they try as far as possible to act in unison.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prerequisite’.
Interesting, there is a traditional vocabulary of an Ukrainian, that differs from vocabulary of average American. It would be nice to explore it.
my words. my mind. my gosh.
try not to enjoy it too much.
This list, the one shown below this very message, is a collection of words that you cannot begin to fathom how much I adore. The list will also feature atithesis and contrasting words such as the t...
My list of words.
Words pertaining to horses, equines, equestrians
Hopefully, I'll be using this site for more than one year. It will be fun then to look back and see what new words I found worthy of notice in any given year.
All words spotted in 2008...
Words that I do not know or unsure for toefl
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
Derivatives from Chapter 19 of Part One of English Words from Latin and Greek Elements
Looking for tweets for prerequisite.