from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Needy; indigent.
- adj. Compelling; urgent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Needy, indigent, destitute, poor.
- adj. In need, lacking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Very needy or indigent; pressed with poverty.
- adj. Narrow; destitute; pinching; pinched.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pressed by poverty; unable to procure what is necessary for one's Station; needy.
- To persons.
- To circumstances.
- Synonyms Needy, Necessitous (see needy), penniless, destitute, pinched, poor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. poor enough to need help from others
French nécessiteux, from Old French, necessary, from necessite, necessity; see necessity.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Compare necessity, -ous. (Wiktionary)