American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Being in need; impoverished. See Synonyms at poor.
- adj. Wanting or needing affection, attention, or reassurance, especially to an excessive degree.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Needful; requisite; necessary.
- Necessitous; indigent; very poor.
- Synonyms Needy, Necessitous. Needy seems to apply primarily to the person, but also to the condition; necessitous to the condition and rarely to the person. Needy implies a more permanent state than necessitous; a necessitous condition is more painful and urgent than a needy condition.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Distressed by want of the means of living; very poor; indigent; necessitous.
- adj. obsolete Necessary; requisite.
- n. needy people collectively
- adj. poor enough to need help from others
- adj. demanding or needing attention, affection, or reassurance to an excessive degree
- From Middle English nedy, nedi ("necessitous"), from Old English nēdiġ, *nīediġ ("of need, obligated, compelled"; found in the derivative nīediġnes ("obligation")), from Proto-Germanic *naudigaz (“of need, forced, compelled”), equivalent to need + -y. Cognate with Scots nedy, neidy ("needy, necessitous, impoverished"), Dutch nodig ("necessary"), Middle Low German nōdich ("necessary, urgent, by requirement"), German nötig ("necessary, needful"), Danish nødig ("necessary"), Swedish nödig ("necessary"), Icelandic nauðugur ("constrained"). (Wiktionary)
“What gets me is when a real-life scientist friend says something uninformed, or vacuous, or just plain needy and I desperately want to refer them to the DrugMonkey blog.”
“Economists and poverty researchers say multiple factors may account for the increase in needy college graduates: Not only a rise in college attendance, but also a shortage of high-end jobs, stagnant wages and eroding health benefits, downsizing and outsourcing — as well as the growing number of immigrants and single mothers.”
“Its message of compassion for the needy is exactly what people who are living with HIV/AIDS need.”
“How do you separate the needy from the lazies and freeloaders?”
“Swatter asks, How do you separate the needy from the lazies and freeloaders?”
“Cutting programs for the Veterans and the needy is not going to be very popular at home and a lot of these guys are going to have to face reelection in 2006.”
“What I propose is to invest our foreign aid dollars in needy developing countries through the direction and management of private enterprise ... not from politician to politician or government agency to government agency.”
“An exhortation to praise God, who, by the gracious and faithful exercise of His power in goodness to the needy, is alone worthy of implicit trust.”
“We’ve got to reform to GOV2. 0 … the only way we’ll be able to keep take care of the needy is if we automate the government.”
“It’s really simple, if the Salracist Army chooses to pick and choose who amongst the needy is worthy, those of us blessed enough to donate instead of receive from a charity should make sure not only the bellringers, but every arm of the “charity” receive no funding from our pockets.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘needy’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Outlawed words and books, like this.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favourite word" and adds it to this list.
thunderfuck, incredible, merp, sara, flopparoo, smother, fugly, buer, plum, canny, nefelibata, cuntbucket and 1972 more...
GRE , GMAT , TOEFL , IELTS , SAT 。。。
You know that feeling when you open your wallet and all you can find inside are ATM receipts?
When being a squatter is the least of your worries and that thing called dignity is shove...
Looking for tweets for needy.