American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Required; essential. See Synonyms at indispensable.
- n. Something that is indispensable; a requirement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Required by the nature of things or by circumstances; necessary; so needful that it cannot be dispensed with; indispensable.
- Synonyms Essential, etc. See necessary.
- n. That which is necessary; something essential or indispensable.
- n. Synonyms Requisite, Requirement. That which is required by the nature of the case, or is only indirectly thought of as reqnired by a person, is called a requisite; that which is viewed as required directly by a person or persons is called a requirement: thus, a certain study is in the one aspect a requisite and in the other a requirement for admission to college; we speak of the requisites to a great commander or to a successful life; of the requirements in a candidate for a clerkship. Hence, generally, a requisite is more absolutely necessary or essential than a requirement; a requisite is more often material than a requirement; a requisite may be a possession or something that may be viewed as a possession, but a requirement is a thing to be done or learned.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. That which is required, or is necessary; something indispensable.
- adj. Required by the nature of things, or by circumstances; so needful that it can not be dispensed with; necessary; indispensable.
- n. anything indispensable
- adj. necessary for relief or supply
- From Latin requīsītus, perfect passive participle of requīrō ("I require, seek, ask for"), from which English require. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin requīsītus, past participle of requīrere, to require; see require. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“He couldn't quite get it together on special teams and we found that for a man who is a little bit short, he did not have what we call the requisite bore - the ability to turn the corner - that both Dwight and Robert have.”
“Beginners are welcome - the only pre-requisite is a willingness to learn.”
“From reading the relevent section it appears that the only requisite is that you are wearing a uniform.”
“His 167 2/3 innings barely qualified him for the ERA race — the requisite is one inning pitched for every game the team has played — and represented a 37-inning decline from his rookie season.”
“The rest of the people are students, clad in requisite orange and maroon.”
“And they, methinks, do abundant harm who, for shame or disgust, would suppress the very mention of such matters: in order to combat a great and growing evil deadly to the birth-rate — the mainstay of national prosperity — the first requisite is careful study.”
“In order to navigate the north, the first requisite is a good ship.”
“In each case a small amount of silver, or silver and copper, is added to give the coin the requisite hardness.”
“But much more requisite is it for Gentlemen in gl service of their country at home or abroad, in town or country, Especially those that serve in parliament to know and jnform themselves ye nature of Land, ye Genius of the Inhabitants, so as to promote and improve Manufacture and trade suitable to each and encourage all projects tending thereto, putting in practice all Laws made for each particular good, maintaining their priviledges, procuring more as requisite; but to their shame it must be own'd many if not most are Ignorant of anything but the name of the place for which they serve in parliament; how then can they speake for or promote their good or Redress their Grievances?”
“I won't hump you, Jack," he said, contenting himself with calling the requisite two thousand.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘requisite’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
1999 Â· 2000 Â· 2001 Â· 2002 Â· 2003 Â· 2004 Â· 2005 Â· 2006 Â· 2007 Â· 2008
My list of words.
Fissiparous Weekly Standard Nigeria a fissiparous country 3/2012
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for requisite.