from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Impossible to reduce to a desired, simpler, or smaller form or amount: irreducible burdens.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not able to be reduced or lessened.
- adj. Not able to be brought to a simpler or reduced form.
- adj. Unable to be factorized into polynomials of lower degree, as (x^2 + 1).
- adj. Unable to be factored into smaller integers; prime.
- adj. Not containing a sphere of codimension 1 that is not the boundary of a ball.
- adj. impossible to divide further into representations of lower dimension by means of any similarity transformation
- n. Such a polynomial
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Incapable of being reduced, or brought into a different state; incapable of restoration to its proper or normal condition.
- adj. Incapable of being reduced to a simpler form of expression.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Incapable of being reduced to a lower amount or degree; not to be diminished or degraded.
- Incapable of being brought into a different state, condition, or form.
- Incapable of being reduced to a desired form or condition by manipulation: as, an irreducible hernia or fracture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. incapable of being made smaller or simpler
ir- + reducible (Wiktionary)