from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a unit.
- adj. Having the nature of a unit; whole.
- adj. Based on or characterized by one or more units.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having the quality of oneness.
- adj. Relating to a system of government in which sovereign power is concentrated in a single body instead of being shared or possessed by more local bodies.
- adj. Pertaining to a unit.
- n. A unitary council
- n. A unitary operator
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a unit or units; relating to unity.
- adj. Of the nature of a unit; not divided; united.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to a unit; of the nature of a unit; not divided; entire: specifically noting in chemistry that system in which the molecules of all bodies are compared, as to their magnitude, with one molecule—water, for example—and all chemical reactions are as far as possible reduced to one typical form of reaction, namely double decomposition. Of or pertaining to, or characterized by, unity or uniformity; also, directed at or striving for unity: as, a unitary system of thought; in politics, centralized.
- In biology, monistic, as distinguished from dualistic.
- Pertaining to or of the nature of a unit (of measurement).
- In mathematics, involving a root to unit power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to or characterized by or aiming toward unity
- adj. characterized by or constituting a form of government in which power is held by one central authority
- adj. having the indivisible character of a unit
- adj. of or pertaining to or involving the use of units
Sorry, no etymologies found.