from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An advocate of federalism.
- n. A member or supporter of the Federalist Party.
- adj. Of or relating to federalism or its advocates.
- adj. Of or relating to Federalism or Federalists.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Advocate of federalism.
- n. Supporter of the view that the province of Québec should remain within the Canadian federal system; an opponent of Québec‐based separatism or sovereigns.
- adj. Of or relating to federalism, or its advocates.
- adj. Someone who strongly believes in federalism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An advocate of confederation; specifically (Amer. Hist.), a friend of the Constitution of the United States at its formation and adoption; a member of the political party which favored the administration of president Washington.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In polities, an advocate or a supporter of federalism; specifically, an advocate of a close union of states under a common government, or a supporter of such a union as against those who would weaken or destroy it; in United States history
- n. a member of the Federal party. See federal, a.
- n. One who accepts the federal theology (which see, under theology).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of a former political party in the United States that favored a strong centralized federal government
- n. an advocate of federalism
federal + -ist (Wiktionary)