from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To act as a go-between or liaison in sexual intrigues; function as a procurer.
- intransitive v. To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses: "He refused to pander to nostalgia and escapism” ( New York Times).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who furthers the illicit love-affairs of others; a pimp or procurer, especially when male. (Later panderer.)
- n. An offer of illicit sex with a third party.
- n. An illicit or illegal offer, usually to tempt.
- v. To offer illicit sex with a third party; to pimp.
- v. To tempt with, to appeal or cater to (improper motivations etc.); to assist in the gratification of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A male bawd; a pimp; a procurer.
- n. Hence, one who ministers to the evil designs and passions of another.
- intransitive v. To act the part of a pander.
- transitive v. To play the pander for.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To cater for the lusts of others.
- To minister to others' passions or prejudices for selfish ends.
- To cater for the gratification of the lusts or passions of; pimp for.
- n. One who caters for the lusts of others; a male bawd; a pimp or procurer.
- n. Hence One who ministers to the gratification of any of the baser passions of others.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. yield (to); give satisfaction to
- n. someone who procures customers for whores (in England they call a pimp a ponce)
- v. arrange for sexual partners for others
Anyone who thinks it through or reads about economics will come to the conclusion this pander is a farce.
Do ads in English "pander" to an English-speaking audience?
Matthew Weaver thinks that ads in Spanish "pander" to a Spanish-speaking audience.
This whole pander is perhaps the most disgusting, contemptible thing we've seen from her yet, and I doubt she's come close to hitting bottom yet.
That the base to which they pander is the religious fundamentalist whose male dominance over females is renowned can no longer be in doubt.
It's the latest attempt to appeal -- Democrats would use the word "pander" -- to the GOP conservative base at the election season looms.
I'm not looking forward to a day where Republicans begin to pander, which is exactly what will happen.
A priest, and, as he says, a priest who might more appropriately be called a pander, seduced this witch with words of love and carried her off.
Their dishes often include milk, yoghurt, an unpaged acid-set farmer cheese called pander and a clarified butter called ghee.
gy: to pander is to gratify the desires of others, according to mw online.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.