American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A cocktail made with crème de cacao, sweet cream, and brandy or gin.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To treat with harshness and severity, in the manner of Sir Jerome Alexander, an Irish judge in the seventeenth century who was noted for his harsh and merciless decisions, especially in regard to Presbytenans and other nonconformists; by implication, to hang.
- n. Alexanders: any of various umbellifers, often specifically Smyrnium olusatrum or Heracleum maximum, the cow parsnip
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a European herb (Smyrnium olusatrum) somewhat resembling celery widely naturalized in Britain coastal regions and often cultivated as a potherb.
- n. the famous king of Macedon, son of Philip; conqueror of Greece and Egypt and Persia; founder of Alexandria -- (356-323 BC).
- n. king of Macedon; conqueror of Greece and Egypt and Persia; founder of Alexandria (356-323 BC)
- n. European herb somewhat resembling celery widely naturalized in Britain coastal regions and often cultivated as a potherb
- From the name Alexander. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“C - said ... you might consider exploring alexander technique, which has completely transformed how i approach physical tension, and which has informed and improved my vocal technique immeasurably. the key word in alexander technique is 'technique', which is to say, there is method in choosing to release tension, even in exceedingly stressful situations. if you (like me) are not of the type to 'stop thinking' and 'just sing it', alexander might be the guide to a better way of thinking, which will in turn allow you to just sing it.”
“Finance Manager finance manager company name alexander bec job ... growing financial services firm needs a group finance manager ... responsibilities: manage the ...”
“Entry tags: alexander scourby, fall of the house of usher, man in black the, pit and the pendulum the, weird tales”
“If anyone would care to donate the aforementioned radio shows, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. var doubleclick_ad_params = 'a = 1; r = 0; w = 1; wg = 0; wa = 0; jid = 10275111; kw = alexander; kw = scourby; kw = pit; kw = and; kw = the; kw = pendulum; kw = man; kw = in; kw = black; kw = fall; c = jo; pt = jo ';”
“Five People Born on January 21 alexander graham bell, antonio meucci, butch cassidy, don adams, guy fawkes, sundance kid, the gunpowder plot, thomas jefferson”
“Hamilton Wars by admin on Jun. 22, 2009, under Uncategorized how did alexander hamilton contribute to the revolutionary war? ok so i need to know how Alexander Hamilton contributed to the revolutionary war and ive looked every were and i cant find it!!!”
“It doesn't matter that everone from alexander to the Soviets have failed there.”
“Five People Born on January 21 clarence darrow, conan o 'brien, haley mills, James Woods, Jay Leno, lucretia borgia, pope alexander VI, scopes monkey trial, william jennings bryan”
“Five Things That Happened On May 3rd alexander hamilton, benjamin franklin, britain, constitutional congress, founding fathers, george washington, John Adams, revolutionary war, thomas jefferson, united states of america”
“On roadside banks, overlooking the eucalyptus groves and polytunnels of market gardens at Boetheric and Burraton, daffodils faded before the end of March and now sprawl between the umbels of alexander.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘alexander’.
List of Boys names
Given names that were acceptable for play the last time I checked the OWL.
There's a jar I've been adding movie ticket stubs to since about age twelve. I am pleased to have a more accessible way of keeping track of the movies I've seen. Even if some are pretty embarrassin...
pig-words: including, but not limited to, famous pigs in film and fiction, historical pigs of note, pig breeds, and assorted porcine terms
Mostly model names, a few brand names and even the occasional colour shade or technical detail thrown in. Excellent resource here.
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
"The Pansies" were on Esquire's list of the worst drinks of Prohibition. Seen in this New York Times article, "Bar? What Bar?" by William Grimes, June 2, 2009.
List also includes other...
Names I like
Looking for tweets for alexander.