from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A European plant (Tragopogon porrifolius) having grasslike leaves, purple flower heads, and an edible taproot.
- n. The root of this plant, eaten as a vegetable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several flowering plants, of the genus Tragopogon, most of which have purple flowers.
- n. The edible root of these plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See Oyster plant (a), under oyster.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant, Tragopogon porrifolius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. edible root of the salsify plant
- n. Mediterranean biennial herb with long-stemmed heads of purple ray flowers and milky sap and long edible root; naturalized throughout United States
- n. either of two long roots eaten cooked
French salsifis, from obsolete Italian (erba) salsifica.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French salsifis. (Wiktionary)