from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A broad, deep, usually covered dish used for serving foods such as soups or stews.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A broad, deep serving dish used for serving soup or stew.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large, deep vessel for holding soup, or other liquid food, at the table.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deep dish with a cover, for holding liquids at table; especially, such a vessel, holding a gallon or more, intended for soup.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large deep serving dish with a cover; for serving soups and stews
French terrine, from Old French, from feminine of terrin, earthen, from Vulgar Latin *terrīnus, from Latin terra, earth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)