from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A common European pikeperch (Stizostedion lucioperca) valued as a food fish.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A European freshwater fish in the family Percidae, closely related to perch, Sander lucioperca.
- n. Any fish of the genus Sander that live in freshwater.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European pike perch (Stizostedion lucioperca) allied to the wall-eye; -- called also sandari, sander, sannat, schill, and zant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The European pike-perch, Stizostedion lucioperca (formerly Lucioperca Sandra). It inhabits fresh waters of central Europe. Also sander and zant.
German, from Low German Sander, from Middle Low German sandāt, perhaps of Slavic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)