American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A common European pikeperch (Stizostedion lucioperca) valued as a food fish.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The European pike-perch, Stizostedion lucioperca (formerly Lucioperca Sandra). It inhabits fresh waters of central Europe. Also sander and zant.
- n. A European freshwater fish in the family Percidae, closely related to perch, Sander lucioperca.
- n. Any fish of the genus Sander that live in freshwater.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A European pike perch (Stizostedion lucioperca) allied to the wall-eye; -- called also
sandari, sander, sannat, schill, and zant.
- German, from Low German Sander, from Middle Low German sandāt, perhaps of Slavic origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In addition, as environments change, intentional stocking of other species (e.g., carp bream – Abramis brama and zander) is likely to occur in the area, which is likely to result in additional pressures upon native arctic fish populations.”
“Suggested causes for the collapse of zander Stizostedion lucioperca (L.) populations in northern and central Finland through comparisons with North American walleye, Stizostedion vitreum (Mitchill).”
“The zander (Sander lucioperca) is a eurythermal species distributed widely in Europe whose growth and recruitment success correlates with temperature .”
“Increases in both abundance and size are very likely to have consequences for the competitiveness of resident coldwater-guild fishes if concomitant increases in lake productivity fail to yield sufficient ration to meet the needs of expanding populations of zander and other percids.”
“Then came a tank of young sturgeon; and, in a general assembly next door, were a few wall-eyed pike; this is really a pike-perch, differing in the markings, however, from the zander of Central Europe.”
“America (_Stizostedion vitreum_) and the other the zander of Central”
“Red mullet with chanterelles and boudin of zander with shellfish sauce were two fabulous dishes.”
“Sitting in the back room (slightly preferable in my view), Reg and I shared six Maldon oysters (£1.50 each), salami Il Grifo from Emilia Romagna, spatchcocked quail with a wonderful nubbly romesco sauce, silky red mullet with chanterelles, boudin of zander (pike-perch river fish) with shellfish sauce, a slice of Saint Nectaire cheese from the Auvergne, and Floating”
“In operation since 1868, the restaurant, with its original banquet tables and 200-year-old model ships dangling from the ceiling, features regional specialties like baked zander - a game fish found only in Europe - and medallions of roasted lamb, beef and pork served atop ratatouille and fried potatoes.”
“Wash the zander, pat dry and cut into equal portions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘zander’.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
Looking for tweets for zander.