American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An enemy of Christ.
- n. The epithet of the great antagonist who was expected by the early Church to set himself up against Christ in the last days before the Second Coming.
- n. A false Christ.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An opponent of Christ; a person or power antagonistic to Christ.
- n. The word occurs in the Scriptures only in the Epistles of John; but the same person or power is elsewhere referred to (2 Thes. ii. 1–12; 1 Tim. iv. 1–3; 2 Pet. ii. 1). Interpreters of Scripture differ in their understanding of these references. Some suppose them to relate to a lawless but impersonal power, a spirit opposed to Christianity; some to a historic personage or potentate, as Caligula, Titus, the pope, or Luther; some to a great power for evil yet to be manifested and gathered about a central personal agency. Roman Catholic writers commonly interpret the word generically of any adversary of Christ and of the authority of the church, but specifically as the last and greatest persecutor of the Christian church at the end of the world. The name has also been applied to the pretenders to the messiahship, or false Christs (Mat. xxiv. 24), who have arisen at various periods, as being antagonistic to the true Christ. Of these as many as sixty-four have been reckoned, including some of little importance, and also some, as Mohammed, who cannot properly be classed among them.
- n. One who works against the teachings of Christ.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A denier or opponent of Christ. Specif.: A great antagonist, person or power, expected to precede Christ's second coming.
- n. (Christianity) the adversary of Christ (or Christianity) mentioned in the New Testament; the Antichrist will rule the world until overthrown by the Second Coming of Christ
- anti- + Christ (Wiktionary)
- Middle English Antecrist, from Old French and from Old English, both from Late Latin Antichrīstus, from Late Greek Antikhrīstos : Greek anti-, anti- + Greek Khrīstos, Christ; see Christ. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Dan Horn logan, ohio God help us, because the antichrist is here. stevieb”
“Therefore an antichrist is one the will deny that The Holy Ghost was Crucified and died.”
“The world is going to descend into a bloodbath while someone known as the antichrist attempts to seize control of the planet.”
“Therefore the word antichrist means literally; opposed to or against, anointed.”
“The word antichrist means literally "opposed to or against, anointed, as to pour oil upon in a religious ceremony".”
“The spirit of antichrist is a worldly spirit, and their sorrow is a mere worldly sorrow; they did not lament for the anger of God, that had now fallen upon them, but for the loss of their outward comfort.”
“Observe, First, The character given of them: they are thieves and robbers (v. 8); all that went before him, not in time, many of them were faithful shepherds, but all that anticipated his commission, and went before he sent them (Jer.xxiii. 21), that assumed a precedency and superiority above him, as the antichrist is said to exalt himself, 2 Thess. ii.”
“But for all those who are questioning about the 666's everywhere, his followers actually get 666 tattooed on them. pure craziness He says that the word antichrist was misinterpreted or something and that it means the second coming of Jesus Christ which is totally false.”
“I have been forwarded emails "quoting" the book of Revelation saying the antichrist will be a man in his mid forties of a Muslim decent who will rule the free world for 42 months.”
“For example, many people believe that the antichrist is a person that will rise up in the last days in the battle between God and evil.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘antichrist’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Terms associated with the Christianity, The Bible, etc. I have a related, but more narrow list called Imbible Code.
A related list is Words Associated With Jesus.
Roster of terms of the form anti___ist. A list for those who are against everything.
The word antidisestablishmentarianist will not be listed. Its like asking a rock musician to play "...
anti-imperialist, antimilitarist, antinationalist, antitribalist, antievolutionist, antiabortionist, anticoalitionist, antiabolitionist, anti-constitution..., antivegetarianist, antihumanist, anti-anarchist and 21 more...
against, hostile; operating against; preventing, curing, neutralizing
words who inspires me on some projects
bridge to nowhere, malison, counting to infinity, butterfly effect, historical revisi..., antichrist, nouveau riche, soubrette, stendhal syndrome, bovarysme, faster, pussycat!..., groupies and 71 more...
Looking for tweets for antichrist.