from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Government by seven persons.
- n. A state governed by seven persons.
- n. The informal confederation of the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms from the fifth to the ninth century, consisting of Kent, Sussex, Wessex, Essex, Northumbria, East Anglia, and Mercia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. government by seven people
- n. A state governed by seven people, or an association of seven states (as in Anglo-Saxon Britain)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A government by seven persons; also, a country under seven rulers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A government by seven persons; also, a group of seven kingdoms or governments: in the latter sense used only in English history, of the seven principal Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Kent, Sussex, Wessex, Essex, Northumbria, East Anglia, and Mercia.
hepta- + -archy (Wiktionary)