American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who solicits and accepts payment for sex acts.
- n. One who sells one's abilities, talent, or name for an unworthy purpose.
- v. To offer (oneself or another) for sexual hire.
- v. To sell (oneself or one's talent, for example) for an unworthy purpose.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To offer to a lewd use, or to indiscriminate lewdness, for hire.
- To surrender to any vile or infamous purpose; devote to anything base; sell or hire to the service of wickedness.
- Openly devoted to lewdness for gain.
- Sold for base or infamous purposes; infamous; mercenary; base.
- n. A woman given to indiscriminate lewdness for gain; a strumpet; a harlot. In criminal law it has been held that the element of gain is not essential or may be presumed.
- n. A base hireling; a mercenary; one who engages in infamous employments for hire.
- n. A woman, or other person, who performs sexual activity for payment.
- n. A woman, or other person, who is perceived as engaging in sexual activity with many people.
- n. A person who does, or offers to do, an activity for money, despite personal dislike or dishonour.
- v. transitive, usually reflexively To perform sexual activity for money
- v. transitive To make another person, or organisation, prostitute themselves.
- v. transitive To use one's talents in return for money or fame
- v. figuratively To exploit for base purposes; to whore.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To offer, as a woman, to a lewd use; to give up to lewdness for hire.
- v. To devote to base or unworthy purposes; to give up to low or indiscriminate use
- adj. Openly given up to lewdness; devoted to base or infamous purposes.
- n. A woman giver to indiscriminate lewdness; a strumpet; a harlot.
- n. A base hireling; a mercenary; one who offers himself to infamous employments for hire.
- v. sell one's body; exchange sex for money
- n. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
- From Latin prōstitutus, past participle of prōstituō, from pro- (“for, before”) + statuō (“to set up, to erect”). (Wiktionary)
- Latin prōstitūta, from feminine past participle of prōstituere, to prostitute : prō-, in front; see pro- + statuere, to cause to stand (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Do they really believe that during a recession, 17 months in prison for a prostitute is a worthy use of their tax money?”
“Proverbs 23: 27-28: For a prostitute is a deep pit and a wayward wife is a narrow well.”
“By "hot coffee" logic paying for sex with a prostitute is all fine and well but having a consensual sexual relationship with a partner you have gotten to know through several dates is unacceptable.”
“The only thing worse than a prostitute is a cheap prostitute.”
“Of these options hiring a prostitute is the least threatening to marriage but it's the only option which is illegal.”
“All of the postings so far reinforce the common-sense observation that the only real difference between a gold digger and a prostitute is the number of johns. —”
“My child does not know what a prostitute is and she shouldn't be learning that at school,' the student's mother said.”
“The profession of the prostitute is a livelihood; the profession of the wife and mother is not.”
“Why were the authors afraid to use the word prostitute?”
“However, if the women bite back and point out that, you know, being called an ice queen or compared to a prostitute is sexist and out of bounds, then the voters come back to them.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘prostitute’.
as a youth I, and some others, made a pen-and-paper RPG, based in contemporary crime and suspense fiction + nonfiction, set in America's blighted urban centers, anonymous slurbs, and godforsaken hi...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
I've noticed many, many words start with PRO and this is just a collection of them.
Collected from reading
List of words referent to persons who commit specific crimes, or are suspected of committing those crimes, beginning with arsonist and safecracker.
Check out reesetee's nice Bad Guys l...
Words containing "tute"--gives me practice, since I nearly always type this string of letters incorrectly on the first try.
Looking for tweets for prostitute.