from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who solicits and accepts payment for sex acts.
- n. One who sells one's abilities, talent, or name for an unworthy purpose.
- transitive v. To offer (oneself or another) for sexual hire.
- transitive v. To sell (oneself or one's talent, for example) for an unworthy purpose.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A woman, or other person, who performs sexual activity for payment.
- n. A woman, or other person, who is perceived as engaging in sexual activity with many people.
- n. A person who does, or offers to do, an activity for money, despite personal dislike or dishonour.
- v. To perform sexual activity for money
- v. To make another person, or organisation, prostitute themselves.
- v. To use one's talents in return for money or fame
- v. To exploit for base purposes; to whore.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To offer, as a woman, to a lewd use; to give up to lewdness for hire.
- transitive v. To devote to base or unworthy purposes; to give up to low or indiscriminate use
- adj. Openly given up to lewdness; devoted to base or infamous purposes.
- n. A woman giver to indiscriminate lewdness; a strumpet; a harlot.
- n. A base hireling; a mercenary; one who offers himself to infamous employments for hire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To offer to a lewd use, or to indiscriminate lewdness, for hire.
- To surrender to any vile or infamous purpose; devote to anything base; sell or hire to the service of wickedness.
- Openly devoted to lewdness for gain.
- Sold for base or infamous purposes; infamous; mercenary; base.
- n. A woman given to indiscriminate lewdness for gain; a strumpet; a harlot. In criminal law it has been held that the element of gain is not essential or may be presumed.
- n. A base hireling; a mercenary; one who engages in infamous employments for hire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. sell one's body; exchange sex for money
- n. a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
Latin prōstitūta, from feminine past participle of prōstituere, to prostitute : prō-, in front; see pro- + statuere, to cause to stand(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin prōstitutus, past participle of prōstituō, from pro- (“for, before”) + statuō (“to set up, to erect”). (Wiktionary)