from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by or favoring absolute obedience to authority, as against individual freedom: an authoritarian regime.
- adj. Of, relating to, or expecting unquestioning obedience. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to, absolute obedience to an authority.
- adj. Characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority; dictatorial.
- adj. Tending to impose one's demands upon others as if one was an authority.
- n. One who commands absolute obedience to his or her authority.
- n. One who follows and is excessively obedient to authority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. characteristic of an absolute ruler or absolute rule; having absolute sovereignty; -- of governments or rulers
- adj. expecting unquestioning obedience: "he was imperious and dictatorial"; "the timid child of authoritarian parents"; "insufferably overbearing behavior toward the waiter"
- n. behaves like a tyrant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Favoring the principle of authority, as opposed to that of individual freedom.
- n. One who supports the principle of authority, as opposed to that of individual freedom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. expecting unquestioning obedience
- n. a person who behaves in a tyrannical manner
- adj. characteristic of an absolute ruler or absolute rule; having absolute sovereignty
Circa 1880 authority + -arian (Wiktionary)