American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who takes a contrary view or action, especially an investor who makes decisions that contradict prevailing wisdom, as in buying securities that are unpopular at the time.
- n. a person who expresses a contradicting viewpoint, especially one who denounces the majority persuasion
- n. finance a financial investor who tends to have an opinion of market trends at variance with most others
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. taking an opposing view, especially a view opposite to that taken by the majority.
- n. a person who habitually takes a view opposite to that held by the majority.
- n. an investor who deliberately decides to go against the prevailing wisdom of other investors
- c 1660 contrary + -an (Wiktionary)
“Highlighting this contrarian is to rub the nose of Republicans in the mire. key”
“The book is only 280 pages long, but so rich in contrarian assaults on cherished American assumptions I cannot adequately summarize it.”
“Your adopted role as contrarian is becoming rather trite.”
“He was often described as a contrarian - a description he disowned; he was disputatious, but never, it seemed, for the sake of it.”
“And, right on cue, the market is up over 30\% since we highlighted that short-term contrarian signal.”
“Last week's news has raised the possibility that the GSEs could wind up actually being a profitable long-term contrarian play.”
“Find a serious 'contrarian' - one that doesn't lace their statements with nonsense, and you'll find someone perhaps worth interviewing.”
“March 10th, 2010 at 7: 38 pm dbadass says: the fake doctor needs to remember to try to use the word contrarian with only one of his fake identities lest he give himself away yet again …”
“The idea of embracing out-of-favor stocks, sometimes called contrarian investing, isn't new.”
“And so in theory, the university in Greenwich Village seemed like a perfect fit for a man who's at turns described as contrarian, free-thinking, and, yes, a maverick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘contrarian’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A list of words.
Words I need to use more to increase my vocabulary.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
first list of words
Words I often can't recall when I need to use them. Plus some interesting words I like.
Looking for tweets for contrarian.