from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is devoted to the promotion of human welfare and the advancement of social reforms; a philanthropist.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a humanitarian or humanitarianism. See Synonyms at humane.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Concerned with people's welfare, and the alleviation of suffering; humane or compassionate.
- n. A person with such concerns; a philanthropist or do-gooder.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to humanitarians, or to humanitarianism.
- adj. Content with right affections and actions toward man; ethical, as distinguished from religious; believing in the perfectibility of man's nature without supernatural aid.
- adj. Benevolent; philanthropic.
- n. One who denies the divinity of Christ, and believes him to have been merely human.
- n. One who limits the sphere of duties to human relations and affections, to the exclusion or disparagement of the religious or spiritual.
- n. One who is actively concerned in promoting the welfare of humans and human societies; a philanthropist.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In theology, affirming the humanity or human nature of Christ, but denying his divinity.
- Having regard to the interests of humanity, or all mankind; broadly philanthropic.
- n. In theology: One who asserts the mere humanity of Jesus Christ, and denies his divinity; a Unitarian.
- n. One who maintains the perfectibility of human nature without the aid of grace.
- n. One who adopts the doctrine or theory that man's sphere of duty is limited to a benevolent interest in and practical promotion of the welfare of the human race, apart from all considerations of religion.
- n. A philanthropist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. marked by humanistic values and devotion to human welfare
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of humanitarianism
- n. someone devoted to the promotion of human welfare and to social reforms
- n. an advocate of the principles of humanism; someone concerned with the interests and welfare of humans
Coined around 1820, from humanity + -arian. (Wiktionary)