from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that gives aid, especially financial aid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Somebody who gives one a gift. Usually refers to someone who gives money to a charity or another form of organization.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who confers a benefit or benefits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, a well-doer; one who does good.
- n. One who confers a benefit; a kindly helper: as, “the great benefactor of mankind,”
- n. One who makes a benefaction to or endows a charitable or other institution; one who makes a bequest.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who helps people or institutions (especially with financial help)
Again, it's probably not illegal, but you'd think that whoever's taking the money would want to know that their benefactor is an anti-Semitic, homophobic whack-job with delusions of grandeur, not to mention the cosmic e-mail box for Hitler and Stalin.
Voxlauer watches as his Jewish friend and benefactor is driven to ruin.
And that our ally and former benefactor is significantly stronger than us and all the non allied nations is as it should be.
Hm. Depends on whether son/nephew/nepotism-benefactor is getting a paycheck or not.
Then, a shadowy benefactor from the east made a copy available to me.
And I'm pretty sure that my mysterious benefactor is someone who reads this journal.
West of Scotland supplied with work by a benevolent aristocrat, his expectation that a grateful peasantry will bless their benefactor is rudely dashed (II, 32).
To boil his career, beliefs, and impact down to a rich benefactor is to discredit a great contributor to American history.
For I have beheld the atrocities committed by the one we call a benefactor.
The main benefactor from abroad has, since 1924, been the Rockefeller philanthropic empire.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.