American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A person who rescues another from harm, danger, or loss.
- n. Christianity Jesus.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who saves, rescues, delivers, or redeems from danger, death, or destruction; a deliverer; a redeemer.
- n. Specifically [capitalized] One of the appellations given to God or to Jesus Christ as the one who saves from the power and penalty of sin. The title is coupled in the New Testament sometimes with Christ, sometimes with God. In this use usually spelled
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who saves, preserves, or delivers from destruction or danger.
- n. Specifically:
The(or our, your, etc.) Savior, he who brings salvation to men; Jesus Christ, the Redeemer.
- n. a teacher and prophet born in Bethlehem and active in Nazareth; his life and sermons form the basis for Christianity (circa 4 BC - AD 29)
- n. a person who rescues you from harm or danger
- First attested in 1300. From Middle English saviour, from Old French sauveour, from Late Latin salvātor, from salvāre. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English saviour, from Old French sauveour, from Late Latin salvātor, from salvāre, to save; see save1. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Kinda throws a wrench in her gears if her savior is a smoker.”
“This is what I call a savior dish for quick weekday dinners!”
“For the San Francisco Giants and their faithful, the savior is arriving at the 11th hour.”
“Pope St. Leo, speaking of the same event, the same fact, says that a "savior" is born to us.”
“THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:::: Maintaining the perception of "savior" is CRUCIAL to their positioning.”
“Perfect evidence rite there, your '' savior is blowing his life rite now so keep insulting the republicans, we'll see who's in office in 2012..”
“Your savior is proposing measures that goes against all you think is holy.”
“Your liberal savior is implementing the very same policies as Hitler and Stalin and that is historcally accurate.”
“But, to say it's some sort of panacea or budget savior is wrong.”
“The trouble with technology as a savior is that the timeframes for advances are unpredictable and uneven.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘savior’.
Words that indentify Jesus and His Salvation to those who seek Him.
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Christian word branding; common English word-associatives connected to Bible terminology or scripture.
I also have a general Bible-word list.
who is this god person, anyway? (--Douglas Adams)
nouns for good people / words that describe good people.
go to the bad people list
( people, character, descriptor, noun )
In honor of terrific and terrible summer blockbusters.
All those words (or distinctive phrases) you only hear at a certain time of year...
Hey! This is my 100th list!
Imagine my surprise when I learned otherwise. :-)
Looking for tweets for savior.