from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A boat carried on a ship for use if the ship has to be abandoned.
- n. A boat used for rescue service.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a boat especially designed for saving the lives of shipwrecked people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strong, buoyant boat especially designed for saving the lives of shipwrecked people.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A boat constructed for the special purpose of saving life at sea in stormy weather, especially in case of shipwreck.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a strong sea boat designed to rescue people from a sinking ship
From life + boat. (Wiktionary)